Breakfast and brunch are my FAVORITE meals of the day. There’s something about sweet and savory bites, warm cups of tea, sunshine, and music playing in the background that really gets my juices flowing. Although most mornings aren’t exactly that tempo, I do make an effort to have a cozy brunch at least one weekend out of the month.
In line with our millet-themed brunch recipes, I came up with a savory dish that will fill you up with a great balance of protein, seasonal greens, and nutrient-rich fiber. The goal is to eat whole, real foods without spending hours in the kitchen.
While traditional breakfast hash browns use grated potatoes, salt, and lots of oil to obtain the exterior crunch, I’m using a savory millet mixture with grated zucchini and cheese that crisps up in the oven. The key here is using a cast iron skillet! Enjoy.
- 2 cups cooked millet
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup zucchini grated
- 2 oz. hard cheese (like gruyere or parmesan)
- 5 eggs (1 egg used in mixture and 4 eggs used for sunny-side ups)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (or more)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked millet, diced red onion, minced garlic, grated zucchini, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. Add in one whole egg and mix again.
- Shave in the cheese and toss.
- Spread mixture onto a large skillet.
- Crack 4 eggs on top and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until egg is cooked to desired doneness. Serve immediately over the Shaved Asparagus Salad
Kale. All Day. Err Day.