This week, we are paying homage to the “Americanized” holiday, Superbowl Sunday (of course with a healthy spin). We replaced the cliche junk (bad fats, simple carbohydrates, and preservatives) with something a bit more energetic. Our fave Superfood Burrito Bowl (in a jar) will not only impress your guests, but also double-duty as a meal prep session for your Monday. Hey!
Whether you are headed to a BBQ, potluck, picnic, or just your familiar ol’ desk and chair, you can satisfy your Mexi-American cravings for spicy salsas, beans, and rice, with these powerhouse foods. Detox daily with fiber-rich black beans, ribbons of kale, and colorful vegetables.
Here are the 7-layered benefits of the burrito in a jar:
- Sprouts – Known to be the most nutritious point in a plant’s cycle, sprouts are loaded with enzymes, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Be sure to shop organic and wash them before adding to your salad or sandwich.
- Greek Yogurt – Filled with more protein than the more traditional version, Greek yogurt is a great addition to dishes that may need some extra umph and bulk.
- Cherry Tomato Salsa (recipe here) – Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene, “a powerful antioxidant proven to protect cells from harmful, often cancer-causing, free radicals.”
- Kale – Jam-packed with vitamins and nutrients, this leafy green is known for its vitamin K contents, which is a powerful antioxidant that promotes bone growth.
- Lettuce – Although not seen traditionally as a superfood, lettuce contains a fair amount of water, which is great for cleansing.
- Zesty Black Beans (recipe here) – Loaded with fiber and some protein, black beans can help regulate blood sugar and slow down the digestion process – keeping you fuller-longer.
- Quinoa – Noted to be a complete protein (which is a rarity in plant-based food sources), this gluten-free grain alternative is easy to digest (and easy to cook).
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 ⅓ cup Zesty Black Beans
4 cups lettuce, chopped
1 cup kale, de-ribbed and thinly chopped
8 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
4 handfuls of sprouts (i.e. Sunflower sprouts)
2 cups of Cherry Tomato Salsa
4 large jars
- Add cooked quinoa to the bottom of the jars.
- Add cooked Zesty Black Beans.
- Add lettuce.
- Add kale.
- Add Cherry Tomato Salsa and a few spoonfuls of the salsa juice (NOTE: this is your dressing).
- Add Greek yogurt.
- Top with a handful of sprouts.
- Seal and pack for later. (NOTE: Be sure not to pack the jar to the rim. You need some space to shake and combine.)
Kale. All Day. Err Day.