Before you know it, red roses and heart-shaped chocolates will replace your Christmas / Kwanzaa / Hanukkah decor at your local grocery store. BUT, if you are living anything close to the lives of Graham and myself (enthusiastically busy with exciting projects, deadlines, and family events), then you might be thinking that some genuine TLC (tender lovin’ care) may be the best gift for you and the folks around you. How about an extra hour of sleep, some time to catch up on magazine reading, or a delicious sweet treat that will boost your energy (or sex life)?
Yes, ok I said it: SEX! It’s not a common topic that I bring up on the daily, but heck, it is a part of a healthy, whole, you…isn’t it? If you didn’t catch our post on “Maca – a Natural Energy and Libido Booster,” then take a moment and read up on the Peruvian superfood that is the key ingredient for this quick and healthy (adult) recipe.
There’s really no reason not to enjoy a day of love and sweets, but just like your mom may advise you: “choose wisely.” Free dessert trays in the office kitchenette, red and pink M&M jars, and sugar-loaded cupcakes may make you love yourself less vs. more. Instead, make this. It requires 5 ingredients and can really be made in under 10 minutes.
- 1 bar dark chocolate, 72% or higher preferably (~ 2.8 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons maca powder
- 3 cups of fruit, washed and sliced/chopped (if needed)
- ¼ cup dried, unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- ¼ cup plain nuts, chopped and toasted
- Wax or parchment paper
- Prepare a tray with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 cups of seasonal fruit (apple slices, orange slices, bananas, grapes, kiwi, berries, etc.). Be sure that the fruit is completely dry after washing them, otherwise the chocolate will not stick.
- Create a double-boiler with a small pot and mixing bowl. Add enough water to the pot so the bowl rests lightly on top of the water without it overflowing.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer – making sure the water does not splash.
- Add dark chocolate to the bowl, and once it is completely melted, add the maca powder and stir until dissolved.
- Carefully poke each piece of fruit with a toothpick and dip into the melted chocolate, then place onto the wax/parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes or chopped nuts and cool until it hardens. You can also place the tray in the freezer for 1 minute to speed up the process.
- Serve or store extras in a sealed container in the fridge to enjoy throughout the week.
More with Maca!
Kale. All Day. Err Day.